Monday, September 20, 2010

Introduction (English)

Konichiwa, my name is Alex. I'm a junior at Columbia University studying history and sustainable development. I'm from San Francisco, but living in New York City for the last two years has made a sworn Manhattanite.

I've always wanted to learn Japanese, but only now have I had the opportunity to do so. I have visited Japan twice, both times as a few day stop-over en route to Taiwan. The food was amazing (so many dishes you cannot find here in the United States!), the culture is quite wonderful, and I found the people to be very accommodating.

An interesting quirk about myself is that I have an obsession with public transit systems. Every city I go to I have to try out the subway and learn the "next stop" announcement. Ask me to do a particular city's announcement and I'll probably be able to do so. One of the first phrases I learned in Japanese was: "この電車は山手線内回り、新宿、池袋、方面行きです。次は品川、品川、お出口は、右側です。This is a Yamanote Line train bound for Shinjuku and Ikebukuro. The next station is Shinagawa, the doors on the right side will open."

I have a particular interest in the relations between Taiwan and Japan. My maternal grandmother and her siblings were born in Tainan, Taiwan, which at the time was still a Japanese colony. Looking back at old pictures, you can see her family dressed in the traditional Japanese kimono. While I never met my grandmother before her passing, her immediate family all spoke Japanese fluently, and like many elder Taiwanese, have a unique sense of nostalgia for the pre-war period (partially due to the turbulent period that succeeded afterwards). It's interesting to note that even after Taiwan was handed back to the Republic of China, many of my relatives in Tainan prefer to speak Taiwanese and Japanese rather than Mandarin Chinese. My granduncle watches more Japanese television than any domestic channel. The Japanese language is still quite apparent and popular in Taiwan and many of my relatives learn both Japanese and English in school. Taipei is claimed to have the highest concentration of Japanese restaurants outside of Japan - not to forget the high concentration of Mitsukoshi and Sogo department stores. Even the names of neighborhoods have a lasting presence of the Japanese language, like 西門町 Ximending, an area of Taipei, which uses 町, a character that is rarely used in Chinese, but very common in Japan town names.

My father's side is originally from Canton, China, but most of his relatives moved to the United States long ago. Both my parents speak two different dialects and since they both grew up in the States, we use English at home.

Learning Japanese this year will be quite an adventure, and I look forward to it!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Alex!
    It's never too late to learn a new language.
    Life's not fun without but a few challenges.
    I was surprised at your ardent passion for にじょんご。
    I would imagine that most colonized くに despised their suppressors
    as there is quite a おうきい population of にほんじん aversion within かんこく and ちゅうごく.
    (I am not sure as to Taiwan.)
    I also would surmise that Taiwanese prefer to speak Taiwanese and にほんご out of ちゅうごくじん animosity than because they prefer にほんご as the current turbulent diplomacy between the two nations.
    Well, it's always いい to forgive the past and move on, but that's a normative sentence.
    I, for one, am a pessimist.
    Good luck with that collection!
    It might take you all over the world someday
    (Not into nations without transit systems, but perhaps a jalopy or buggy can suffice?).
    I find your candor admirable, so please post again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. はじめまして!I think the reason why the older Taiwanese have a sense of nostalgia is because the Japanese brought technology and infrastructure to the island. Of course there was discontent being colonized, but the period immediately after, under Chiang Kai Shek's dictatorship, was filled with fear (if you spoke out against the government, you would be tortured and executed) and social inequality between "mainlanders" (anyone who came after 1949) and "Taiwanese" (anyone born in Taiwan before the hand-over). So I guess everything is in comparison. Luckily now, the island benefits from a very free and democratic government.

    ReplyDelete
  3. おもしろい! はじめまして。私輪マヤです。どぞよろしく。

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I wanna say is that you remind me of my brother. He goofs around like you do in class ALL THE TIME!!! Haha... And I love that you try to say Chinese as much as you can!!!

    ReplyDelete